Friday, December 19, 2014

A welcome detail



In life, it's sometimes the smallest detail that can mean a lot.

I was reminded of that yesterday when I went back to the campus of my alma mater, Queens University of Charlotte. I was there to meet with the sharp and delightful Jane Williams, the university's assistant director of annual giving.

She wanted to meet with me to discuss a volunteer opportunity and give me a personal tour of the beautiful campus and some of its exciting new buildings. We had a wonderful time and I learned a lot about the current new buildings and some other new improvements on existing buildings that are in the works. I'm so proud that Queens is thriving.

The whole visit was uplifting for me, but what really put it over the top was the parking space Jane reserved for me in Burwell Circle outside the university's main building, Burwell Hall.

It was a small gesture, and one that's been done for many other visitors, but I was completely thrilled. I was so tickled that when our meeting was over I asked Jane if she would take my picture with the sign. It was just a printed sheet of paper, nothing fancy, but it was such a welcoming gesture and it made me feel special and important.



So thank you, Jane. And thank you Queens for giving me a great education, lots of support throughout my career and the lifetime friends I made while studying there.

Go Royals!

Follow Olivia on Twitter @oliviafortson

0 comments: