Editor's note: Talented teen fashion blogger Carson Goodwyn, who just finished an internship in New York City with designer Charlotte Brody, takes over this blog today. On June 26, Carson appeared on the Charlotte Today show on WCNC-TV to talk more about her latest blog for the Observer where she shares her five favorite summer style must-haves.
Here's the link to her segment with Charlotte Today show's Colleen Odegaard: www.wcnc.com/charlotte-today/5-teen-must-haves-213150501.html
School’s out for the summer! Most kids are thinking about the swimming pool, camp adventures and beach vacations. I am thinking that I am now free to wear whatever summer clothing I desire! Like many schools, mine has a dress code and that means my chic jeans, shorts and mini dresses are held hostage in the closet until June. So now that all of my favorite pieces have made the great escape, I can happily display my choice looks for the season of sun.
1. This summer, I am loving shorts. They are all the rage in many great fabrics and designs. I am a fan of the flat front, tailored short. Pleated shorts can add heft and are generally less flattering. Shorts seem to be in every collection and you can dress them up or down in a flash. Pair them with a well-cut T-shirt and metallic gladiators for daytime or dress them up with a silk tunic and a splashy graphic wedge for evenings. Pulling off shorts does not mean you must have model legs, either. The most important thing with shorts is finding a length that compliments your legs. And less is not definitely more with shorts. A mid-length can hide a multitude of figure flaws and may even look classier.
2. Next up, the high-low dress. This style feels like an evolution of the maxi dress that made a huge appearance last summer and has really had staying power. I love this look because it’s fun, casual elegance. The high-low dress is functional because it is super easy to walk in and it does not hide your fabulous footwear. You can throw a high-low over your bathing suit or dress it up for dinner with a chunky statement necklace. You can even pair a shorter high-low with a skinny jean for cooler evenings at the mountains or the beach.
3. A distant cousin to the high-low is the draped tunic, or what I like to call the whale tail top. It’s short in the front but nearly calf length in the back. BCBG included this piece in their summer collection in many colors and cuts and I cannot get enough of this. If you are not a fan of your backside, this top is for you! It drapes in all the right places and elongates your figure. I love it with shorts, colored denim or a slim fitting mini.
4. The crossbody bag is another of my favorite looks for summer. And it is super functional. It’s easy to wear and hands-free! It’s great for travel or an evening out. Crossbody bags come in every style from structured leathers to beaded linen. The Poole Shop has some amazing Boho crossbody bags by Star Mela. I would love to have one in every color. A friend gave me one and I have carried it non-stop.
5. Speaking of Boho, expect to see this global ethnic trend showing up in clothing, footwear and jewelry. It’s been around a while now but keeps gaining momentum. It even has it’s own page in Wikipedia…I looked it up! It’s origins come from hippie-chic vintage but what makes it so interesting is that you can really put your own spin on it. I love to marry a little Boho with classic style. Combine your prints and patterns, mix it up. You never want to be too matchy-matchy. You can take a really conservative outfit and add a global scarf or chunky beaded necklace and suddenly you’ve got it going on. Check out C. Wonder’s web site for great finds in fresh Boho trends.